Micro-moments happen countless times throughout the day. You’re looking for a nearby Chinese Restaurant or replacing a tyre. You’re searching for a hairdresser, finding the perfect cheese cobbler recipe, or watching a how-to video on fixing a dent.
These spontaneous, task-driven engagements, termed “micro-moments” by Google represent critical opportunities for employers and employees alike.
But, what is a Micro-moment?
Any time you turn to an Internet-enabled device to find something, learn something, watch something or purchase something—you are experiencing a micro-moment.
A micro-moment is an intent-driven action powered by an Internet-enabled device.
Micro-moments in the L & D industry
Let’s be honest: your employees use smartphones and tablets every day, everywhere — before work, during work and after work. Some employers may wonder if this strong reliance on mobile devices (one study said it’s over 200 different times per day) hinders productivity.
But could it instead be a blessing in disguise? Progressive companies should develop ways to reach these employees where they are — providing real-time learning, in short, compelling content bursts.
With so much information available at our fingertips, organisations need to ensure learners are receiving the right information. Organisations must develop just-in-time learning solutions to meet them where they are – on their mobile device.
Employers need to be offering the ultimate resource to help answer training needs such as:
- “I want to delegate better.”
- “I want to learn how to overcome objections more effectively.”
- “I want to know how to deal with maternity cover for a member of my team.”
- “I want to use Excel more effectively.”
- “I want to find out where our HR department is located.”
In reality, however, it is any piece of training content that can be there, be quick and be useful during staff micro-moments.
Therefore, that content could comprise a video, a PDF, infographic, game, audio, article or quiz.
Google argues that there are three crucial ways to meet customers during micro-moments. When applied in the L&D environment, employees replace customers:
- Be there. Expect the micro-moments for learners in your organisation and then commit to being there to help when those moments occur. This requires aligning business goals with training objectives to ensure the learning initiative delivers the intended outcome.
- Be useful. It’s critical to first assess and understand the needs of your audience. Having relevant and reliable content available to your audience at the moment the need occurs enhances the learner experience and keeps them coming back.
- Be quick. The mobile experience must be fast and frictionless, or else you will lose your audience in a matter of seconds. The technology should be designed with speed and functionality in mind.
Are you currently offering your staff an on-demand content library of just-in-time, bite-size, learning content so employees can go to in these micro-moments and receive instant knowledge gratification?
Talk to us about your learning and training goals. We can develop a solution on a budget, on time that equips your workforce to deliver exceptional results.
Call 1300 800 288 or email firstname.lastname@example.org