An effective onboarding program is critical not only to provide adequate training for new employees, but also for people to connect with the organisation and co-workers. It is an exciting experience to start a new role and to pursue a fresh opportunity by eliminating any anxiety or stress.
Taking the time to settle new employees into the role and company enables them to understand the importance of their role, the team and company expectations, the work culture and future opportunities. This process equips new employees with a sense of confidence, sets the tone and drives employee engagement.
Onboarding vs. Orientation
Onboarding is an ongoing process of building engagement from the first contact until the employee becomes established within the organisation. Orientation, on the other hand, is a stage of onboarding where new employees learn about the company and their job responsibilities. The goal of onboarding is to make the potential employee feel that they want to work here; the goal of orientation is to integrate new employees into the organisation as seamlessly as possible. 
Regardless of your industry or business sector, the goal of any effective employee onboarding program is to help new hires integrate smoothly in your company.
The benefits of eLearning-based onboarding
Research shows that up to 20% of turnover happens within the first 45 days of employment, so it’s essential to engage and impress new starters straight away .
You may not know this, but there is a definite link between eLearning and employee engagement. In fact, implementing eLearning through a learning management system (LMS) can solve longstanding employee onboarding problems.
Some of the benefits include:
- Increase engagement to maximise knowledge retention
- Save companies money, in terms of infrastructure, travel costs, and employee time away from work
- Take less time away from an employee’s work day, as eLearning takes up to 40-60% less time than classroom instruction
- Allowing employees more flexibility to access training anytime, anywhere.
- eLearning-based onboarding is particularly suited for employees who are remote, traveling, or have high turnover rates
- Create personalised custom eLearning solutions that can be tailored to better match the specific learner
- Allowing employees to pause training, reread information, or test information they already know
eLearning courses that command attention is not only visually engaging, they take a relative concept all the way from start to finish. Since onboarding is an important part of the employment experience, it’s crucial that employees enjoy it. This will only happen if training is delivered in a format that captures a learner’s attention and engages him or her.
Ask us about eLearning-based onboarding and how we can support your learning and training needs!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 800 288